Steadfast Mentoring Training
We are so glad you are interested in becoming a mentor! To continue to the training please
Looking for TRAUMA TRAINING?
The Value of Mentoring
At its most basic level, mentoring helps because it guarantees a young person that there is someone who cares about them. A child is not alone in dealing with day-to-day worries. Think back. Did you know how to study for a test or make plans for college? Do you remember wanting your first car or looking for a part-time job? Simple things that seem easy or straightforward to you now may appear to be a complete mystery to a young person. Mentors provide their mentees with an experienced friend who is there to help in any number of situations.
Mentor Eligibility Requirements
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be willing to have a minimum of four contacts a month with your mentee
- Complete the screening procedure
- Agree to complete mentor training as required
- Be willing to communicate regularly with the Steadfast Director and submit monthly meeting and activity information
- Have access to an automobile or reliable transportation
- Have a current driver’s license , auto insurance, and good driving record
- Have a clean criminal history
- Have never been accused, arrested, charged, or convicted of child abuse or molestation
- Not be a user of illicit drugs
- Not use alcohol or controlled substances in an excessive or inappropriate manner
- Not currently be under treatment for a mental disorder or have been hospitalized for a mental disorder in the past three years
- Not have falsified information during the course of the screening process
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can mentor?
- To be a mentor, you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Pass a mandatory screening that includes: background and fingerprint check, as well as verification of references
- Commit to spending 4 contacts per month with a mentee
- Participate in Steadfast Mentor training sessions
What does a mentor do?
- As a mentor, you will support a youth through an ongoing mentoring relationship
- Serve as a positive role model and trusted friend
- Plan and participate in activities together
- Build self-esteem and motivation in the youth
- Help your mentee set goals and work towards accomplishing them
- Know that you are making a real difference in the life of a child that really needs you
What kind of support do mentors receive?
Mentors provide a mentee with loving guidance, care and support.
Steadfast-mentoring program offers services to support the mentors.
- You will receive comprehensive training and ongoing match support and supervision
- Additional training opportunities and community resources
- Periodic volunteer appreciation
- A caring staff available to support mentors and youth
- It only takes an hour to make a difference in a child's life
- You may be the only stable and consistent thing a child has
- Your wisdom and life experiences can benefit a child
- You represent hope and a brighter future for a child that really needs you
- Being a mentor may be the most rewarding thing you ever do
Learn more about Steadfast!
17030 Lakeshore Road Lutz, FL 33558